Sunday 20 November 2011

motherhood


Being a mother is frustrating, exhausting and all consuming. On the more challenging days I try to remind myself that I am not dealing with an inconvenience but raising a human being. There is no recognition, chance of promotion and certainly not a yearly cash bonus. Despite this, shaping the mind and future of a little person must be the most important job in the world. The rewards come in other forms- a beautiful smile from your baby when you lift them from their cot, a hug from your child when you least expect it and watching them learn and grow every single day.

There are many things I want to teach my children. That they can do anything, achieve their wildest hopes and dreams if they are passionate enough about them and work hard enough to make them happen. I don't ever want to clip their wings. I want to show them the world and all the inspiring places and people we come across on the way. Teach them to recognise and search out beauty in nature, in the night sky, in music, art and literature.

Already there are many things they have taught me too. Patience for one. To always stay curious, to take time to stop and really look, to be silly, to remember to be kind and to love with every ounce of my being. Like every mother, I want the best of everything for them and instead of worrying that we can't buy them a great many toys and gifts for Christmas, I would do well to keep in mind that when they look back it will not be this that stays with them.

They will remember the times we kicked off our shoes and ran along the beach together, when we made forts under the table and I read stories to them for hours and the time we ate ice-cream for breakfast The most important thing is that they know that they are and always have been loved to the stars and back. All that really matters is love.

Picture of Lila and I from the archives.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails