Friday 16 December 2011

a little bit of Christmas


This will be the third time I've spent in Christmas the southern hemisphere but I still find the whole thing so incredibly bizarre. As well as a time to be with family, to me will it always mean chilly days and snow, mittens, blankets, warm fires, mulled wine and warm mince pies. Everything that it is definitely not in New Zealand, where it means Summer holidays, beaches, bbq's, cold beers and ice creams. Though having said that, it has actually rained almost constantly for the past week so it is starting to feel more like home. It's still always warm though, no need for a woolly hat or a fire round these parts! However I've still done my best to make our home feel festive.

Having children makes Christmas really magical again and I love the fact that Lila is now old enough to get ridiculously excited about it all. Not that I need any excuse to fully embrace everything even remotely Christmassy. Early in the morning on Christmas Eve we will be driving four hours north of Auckland up to the beautiful Bay of Islands for a little three day getaway. No doubt we'll probably head straight for the beach but come the evening, I can't wait to hang the stockings, leave a mince pie and a carrot for Santa and his reindeer, put the Christmas songs on, light some candles and settle down with a glass of mulled wine to watch The Snowman with my girls :)




Pictures... a few shots from around our home.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails