Friday 26 August 2011

one year on



It has been over a year now that we have been living in the land of the long white cloud. Though it's mostly been a brilliant, eye-opening time, it has by no means been a totally easy ride. We moved to a country literally at the other end of the Earth where we have no family and knew almost no-one. We had to find ourselves a place to live, buy a car and I had to get myself a job. We had over two months with no furniture and possessions except the clothes we bought over in our bags on the plane because the container we shipped was hugely delayed. I was lucky enough to land an amazing, dream job after just a couple of weeks and we found a sweet (albeit very compact) apartment to rent in a great location. I've missed my friends and family back home a crazy amount. There's been so many moments I wish I could have shared with them or just popped around to see them for a cup of tea and a chat, but I've also forged new friendships and met some awesome people along the way.

We live a short drive away from some of the most beautiful scenery on Earth and have stunning beaches on our doorstep. Some things we've found to be more affordable such as rent and childcare, and other things to be extortionately expensive in comparison to what we were used to in the UK- food and drink, both in the supermarket and also in restaurants and bars, furniture, clothes, books and basically everything bought from a shop is at a premium. This has meant we've had to learn to find our fun without much in the way of retail therapy or eating out- hello picnics on the beach, lots of home baking and barbecues with friends. Even more so now Rose has arrived and we are surviving on just Curt's salary.

We've experienced a warm Summer and also the more rainy but still mild months of Winter. There have been stressful times and joyful times. We've gained a child and there's been moments when we would have given anything to have our family close at hand to babysit for an evening, to be able to pick up the phone for an impromptu chat or to ask for some advice (the 11 hour time difference can be a bitch). One thing we will be forever grateful for is the existence of Skype, it makes being so far away seem feasible and our parents are still able to know their grandchildren and see them often.

Am I glad we made the move? Absolutely. In spite of some of the more challenging aspects I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Home for me will always be the green fields of England and I'm pretty sure we'll return there for good one day, but for now we're enjoying the adventure. I feel proud that we are giving our children a chance to see and experience something of the world.






4 comments:

Marinka said...

I love your photos of the beach it looks really nice

Anonymous said...

Your photos make me happy to be a New Zealander. I've lived in NZ for 27 years and I have to say, it takes a lot of guts to do what you have done. My parents moved to NZ when I was a baby and I'm glad they did. Although I'm sure if I had a baby and moved away from my parents like they did, my mum would kick my ass for taking grandkids to the other side of the world.

Unknown said...

Thanks @Marinka

@bunnyeatsdesign-I think my parents feel the same way! I would totally too, if my kids do it to me one day but at least it's easy to stay connected these days thanks to the wonders of modern technology. Though saying that, my Dad has no idea how to even turn on a computer. Thankfully my mother is a little more clued up!

The Health Revival said...

So glad I'm not the only one. You moved across the globe, but I moved from one side of the U.S. to the other and it FEELS like another country. Granted, it's only been about 2 months, so I'm still getting my feet wet, but I can totally relate and so can my children. I know we'll adjust, but it's not easy....especially being so far from my family. I think that's the hardest part. Lonely being the new peeps on the block, but I know a few months down the road, it will be a different story. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails